Friday, October 26, 2012

Video Game Heaven

This is the home page for a videogame store, probably long deceased. Apparently the site has been visited a whopping 26,000 times, which is more than a little surprising, unless Video Game Heaven was once incredibly popular, which seems doubtful.

When one clicks enter and visits the website itself, it's pretty bland, and barely functional. There are listings for PSX, PS2, Dreamcast, and N64 products, with another section labeled imports that exists entirely for Japanese Dragon Ball fighting games.

The very last game listed on the site is X-Squad, a pretty fun -if not exactly outstanding- shooter. The site promises more games are coming soon, but unless they've gotten lost in a time loop, it seems that the site died down in 2000. 12 years later, sadly, there's not a whole lot to the website.

Although I did learn quite a few things about games from their site indirectly, using their listings. I had no idea there existed a videogame simply called "One", or that a bizarrely surreal horror game called "Sentinel Returns" existed, with a musical score by John Carpenter.

Really, what is this?
Among the weird stuff, there were some genuinely good looking games that I can't believe I hadn't heard of, like Rival Schools, Grandstream Saga and two games in the Rampage series.

I'll TAKE TWO. Get it?
If I hadn't stumbled upon Video Game Heaven's site, I probably wouldn't have ever known about these games. So props to them for listing so many weird-ass products on their site, and props to Vysethedetermined for talking about VGH in his Santa Claus Junior video, and by extension, Neon Studios for making Legend of Kay so I could look up that they also made Santa Claus Junior.

Could I have lived my life without knowing "Roscoe McQueen: Firefighter Extreme" existed? Probably, but I can't say this hasn't been interesting.

I need this.

No comments:

Post a Comment